[mlpack] GSoC 2017 with mlpack

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Tue Feb 28 07:16:05 EST 2017

Hello Abhijeet,

thanks for your interest in the project.

> Please guide me and provide me relevant links. Some starter level bugs would be
> helpful so that I can get familiar with the codebase.

I just opened some network related issues on Github, I'll see if I can add some
more in the next days; maybe you can find one of those interesting?

https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/issues

Maybe these pages are also helpful:

http://www.mlpack.org/involved.html
http://www.mlpack.org/gsoc.html

There are also other issues open on the Github issue tracker, and any
contributions of new techniques or efficiency improvements for existing
implementations are always welcome.

About the project, to be successful at this project, you should have a good
knowledge of reinforcement learning; i.e., you should be familiar with the way
agents are typically built and trained, and certainly, you should be familiar
with the individual components that you plan to implement. Besides that, I think
I said this before somewhere, there are some ways to work with the code, e.g. by
implementing an agent that is capable of solving some tasks. Normally I
recommend taking a look at Policy Gradients, which are powerful but also really
intuitive when it comes to the implementation. Since you said you already worked
on an agent that can play carrom, which sounds really interesting, maybe you can
rewrite the code using mlpack? Don't feel obligated, it's just an idea, we know
it's often not that easy to find the time to work on a project if you have a
trillion other things to do.

I hope this is helpful, let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
Marcus