[mlpack] Reinforcement Learning at GSOC 2017

Sinjan Chakraborty sinjanc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 06:37:34 EST 2017

Hi,

My name is Sinjan Chakraborty. I am a junior undergraduate student in
Computer Science and Engineering from India. I have also communicated with
a few mentors yesterday on the #mlpack IRC Node through my nickname
Sinjan_. I would like to work with mlpack on the Reinforcement Learning
Project.

Over the past year I have been involved with two separate projects in
Machine Learning. I have also completed the online Machine Learning course
by Andrew Ng (with certificate) and Neural Networks for Machine Learning by
Geoffrey Hinton and the deep learning course on Udacity by Google.

I haven't got a chance to put my knowledge in deep learning to any
practical use since the projects I worked were based on clustering
algorithms and artificial neural networks. That's why I am particularly
interested about working on this project.

I will start learning Reinforcement learning from the Berkeley Deep
Reinforcement Learning course. <http://rll.berkeley.edu/deeprlcourse/>

I would be very grateful if you can guide me if there is anything I am
required to study to make myself ready for this project.

I would also like to know if I should start working on the issues. I have
installed mlpack properly on my system. I have gone through the
command-line programs and the C++ implementations of the methods. And now I
want to start contributing to mlpack.

Thanking you,
Yours sincerely,

Sinjan Chakraborty.