[mlpack] Fwd: mlpack:GSOC'17

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Thu Feb 23 11:13:36 EST 2017

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 10:16:03PM +0000, Yannis Mentekidis wrote:
> Hello Abhinav,
>
> As far as I am aware, the only parallel algorithms in mlpack currently are
> LSH and DET (methods/det/ directory, files dtree_impl.hpp and
> dt_utils_impl.hpp)
>
> If you're not comfortable with OpenMP, I would suggest the LLNL tutorial
> found here: https://computing.llnl.gov/tutorials/openMP/
>
> I am afraid I am not the best person to answer about issue #401, sorry
> about that :(
>
> I saw Ryan opened a few enhancement issues earlier today, specifically the
> 5 newest ones on the issues page. Take a look at them as well, maybe you'll
> find something there that you like!

Hi Abhinav,

Nobody has solved #401 so you are welcome to try, but Stephen Tu hasn't
been actively working on mlpack in a while, so the amount of support you
will be able to get is not huge.  If you'd like to work on that, I'd
suggest studying SDPs and then studying the mlpack optimizers.
Stephen's existing comments on the bug do provide a good place to start,
so once you have familiarized yourself with SDPs and mlpack's
implementation of them, you can take a look at lrsdp_function_impl.hpp
like he suggests and see how a linear constraint could be added along
with dense and sparse constraints:

https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/blob/master/src/mlpack/core/optimizers/sdp/lrsdp_function_impl.hpp

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks,

Ryan

--
Ryan Curtin    | "I just ran out of it, you see."
ryan at ratml.org |   - Howard Beale