[mlpack] [GSoC 17] Boltzmann Machine

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Wed Mar 15 10:44:07 EDT 2017

Hello Skand,

(cc mlpack list, please use the public mailing list)

> Yes I couldn't find an mlpack RBM implementation. I guess (if I am not wrong),
> we have to start from scratch. In the previous few days I had gone through the
> paper on spike and slab RBM (and also revised rbm). So can you guide me how to
> start the method rbm? I would first like to implement the RBM class and then
> extend to various modifications of it. What do you think?

Starting with the RBM and adding the improvements described in the "Spike and
slab restricted boltzmann machine" paper sounds reasonable. However, we should
think about the necessaries for additional features, so that we can add features
without redesigning the classes.

So I propose that we first brainstorm about the API, before implementing the
model, does that sound reasonable?

Thanks,
Marcus