[mlpack] About the GSoC '17 "Reinforcement learning" project

Vladimir Ilievski ilievski.vladimir at live.com
Mon Feb 27 17:26:16 EST 2017

Hello everyone,

first of all I would like to congratulate to mlpack for being accepted as a participating organization in
the Google Summer of Code 2017.

Since I am interested to take part in this year Google Summer of Code, let me introduce myself.
My name is Vladimir and I am a Master Student at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL).
I am pursuing my Masters in the field of Machine Learning and Intelligence. My particular areas of interest are
Neural Networks, Reinforcement Learning and Gaussian Processes. Throughout the studies I followed several
courses only related to these topics. Therefore, I have a solid knowledge about some principles in these areas.

However, I never had a chance to implement a solution for some of the concepts that requires analytical thinking
and to write solid amount of code. Therefore, I would like to take part in the development of mlpack during GSoC,
since it is aligned with my interests, knowledge and professional goals.

More precisely, the project named "Reinforcement Learning" caught my attention, since it combines the deep neural
networks and the reinforcement learning. I already have some insights of the mlpack code base, because I started
implementing the Gaussian Processes, which is still in my to do list. I read the project description very carefully together
with the provided link, which I think is sufficient to get the idea and sense about the project. If there is something else to
know, I would appreciate if you share it with me.

Best Regards,
and expect my application :),

Vladimir