The jacobian test for the
NormalDistribution class passes now. The problem was when we applied softplus, the approximate jacobian was still being calculated with respect to the standard deviation. Whereas, the
LogProbBackward() was calculating it with respect to the pre standard deviation. I had to add some functions to be able to modify
preStdDev from outside the class. It took a while to figure this out.
I created a VAE model in my local copy of the models repository. As discussed with Sumedh, I used
Sequential layers for the encoder and the decoder. I tried training it on MNIST. But, the reconstruction loss isn't decreasing at all over iterations. I will discuss this with Sumedh tonight and try to figure out what's going wrong. For generation, I am currently writing functions in a different file which will sample from the distribution output by the decoder. Also, I was wondering if using log probability as the reconstruction loss is correct or should we use negative log probability.
I think we should be able to see some nice results in this week using fully connected layers first. After that is done, I will see what needs to be done to get the
Reparametrization layer and the
ReconstructionLoss to work with convolutional layers. As I have tried to make everything generic till now, I don't think that should be too much work.
Generated by 1.8.13